[The following statement is reprinted from the International Communist Seminar in Brussels, 2-4 May, 2000. The list of organizations who signed it are at the end of the document.]
Resolution about the people’s liberation struggle in Colombia
Submitted by the FARC
The serious political, social and economic situation that the Colombian people is suffering because of the application of the imperialist economic model " neo-liberalism ", which augments the gap between poor and rich, and which condemns each day more people to absolute poverty.
That the answer of the Colombian State to this serious crisis that is traversing the country, has always been violent, criminalizing the social protests, increasing the dirty war through the application of the doctrine of National Security and the Internal Enemy by its army.
That the army, in clear complicity with the paramilitary groups, in their faithful application of the strategy of “draining the water from the fish” - that is, to destroy the social base of insurrection -, have augmented the selective mass murders against the Colombian people, with an enormous number of victims and millions of internal refugees as a consequence.
That through the monopoly of mass media, manipulation has always been present, and through psychological warfare, all social and revolutionary political movements that are fighting for a radical change of the corrupt structures of the State, have been demonized.
That the Government of the United States, pursuing to ensure its economic and political interests in Colombia and its surroundings, has traced out a new intervention strategy based on the so-called fight against drugs. This pretext allows them to intervene openly in the internal affairs of all countries, and especially in Colombia it is designed for fighting the revolutionary movement, and thus getting rid of every opposition to the mega-projects they want to implement in the area.
That the Colombian insurgency has always sought to maintain an open dialogue with the government to search for a negotiated political settlement to the armed conflict that is ruining the country.
That the different governments with whom it has dialogued, have sought to force the insurgency to the negotiating table demanding in exchange their disarmament and demobilization, what in the past has caused the annihilation of guerrilleros who had been reintegrated in society.
That notwithstanding the fact that the insurgent forces have an ongoing dialogue and negotiation with the current government presided by Dr. Pastrana, thus showing their willingness to go the road leading to peace with social justice for all Colombians, the government, to the contrary, is seeking more military and economic assistance from the US and from Europe for its Plan Colombia, in order to intensify the war.
That notwithstanding the fact that the FARC-EP have asked the Colombian government to have a permanent system for exchange of prisoners of war, with approximatively 500 military and police men in the hands of the FARC-EP, the government has not had the political will to solve this problem.
Be it resolved:
1. To give support and solidarity to the various insurgent forces in the search for a negotiated political settlement to the armed conflict, to facilitate a democratic political space to change the existing corrupt system and obtain a durable peace, a genuine democracy, sovereignty and social justice, the wish of all Colombians.
2. To give support and solidarity to the various insurgent forces in their revolutionary struggle to take power and radically change the current corrupt system, if there is no other way to achieve this.
3. To condemn the permanent US intervention in Colombia, that, on the pretext of combating drug trafficking, aims to fight the insurgent forces, thus violating the sovereignty and the self-determination of the peoples.
4. To call on all peoples of Latin America, especially on Colombia’s neighbours, to reject any attempt of Latin American collaboration with the US in forming a multinational intervention force for Colombia.
5. To demand from the Colombian government that the fundamental rights of all citizens be respected, changing their policy of criminalization of social protest, of persecuting and dismantling the truth and to the military groups to halt their dirty war.
6. To ask from the Colombian government to accord the insurgent forces a permanent law for the exchange of prisoners of war, to solve the problem of the prisoners of war of the guerrilla in the Colombian prisons, and of those of the government in the hands of the insurgents.
1. Belgium, Workers’ Party of Belgium (PTB)
2. Chad, Chadian Action for Unity and Socialism (ACTUS)
3. Democratic Republic of Congo, Patriotic Front
4. Democratic Republic of Congo, People’s Power Committees (CPP),
5. Denmark, Marxist-Leninist Danish Communist Party (DKP ML)
6. Dominican Republic, Marxist-Leninist Communist Party of the Dominican Republic
7. Ecuador, Marxist-Leninist Communist Party of Ecuador (PCMLE)
8. France, Anti-Imperialist Front
9. France, Cercle Henri Barbusse
10. France, Communist Coordination
11. France, Information Bulletin “Nouvelles d’URSS”
12. Germany, Communist Party of Germany (KPD)
13. Great Britain, Lalkar Magazine
14. Indonesia, People’s Democratic Party (PRD)
15. Italy, Circolo Lenin
16. Mali, African Solidarity for Democracy and Independence (SADI)
17. Mexico, Broad Front for the Construction of a National Liberation Movement (FAC-MLN)
18. Nepal Communist Party (Mashal)
19. Nepal, Anti-Imperialist Revolutionary Front
20. Netherlands, New Communist Party of the Netherlands (NCPN)
21. Norway, Workers’ Communist Party (AKP)
22. Philippines, Communist Party of the Philippines
23. Poland, League of Polish Communists “Proletariat”
24. Russia, All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks
25. Russia, Russian Communist Workers’ Party
26. Spain, Communist Party of the Peoples of Spain (PCPE)
27. Switzerland, Communist Organization Switzerland (KOS)
28. Turkey, Revolutionary People’s Liberation Front (DHKC)
29. Turkey, Turkish Communist Party / Marxist-Leninist (TKP/ML)
30. Ukraine, Union of Communists of Ukraine
31. USA, Freedom Road Socialist Organization
32. USA, Ray O’Light Group
(List of 4 May 2000)